Skip to main content

Worlds Colliding

Last week our class participated in an assistive technology lab with some speech pathology students from the University of Memphis. I was very excited to not only to learn about assistive technology in our field, but also to learn more about speech pathology. One SLP student taught a few of us the basics of using a Proloquo2Go Crescendo core word board to help nonverbal clients communicate with others. We practiced using the board, and I found it surprisingly difficult to use! I think it is very cool how people can use apps on iPads to design their own boards with words that they use often to communicate more efficiently. I found that the worlds of both speech and occupational therapy are very client-centered, making interventions and devices adaptable for each individual's lifestyle. Assistive technology opens countless doors for individuals with disabilities who seem to be in hopeless situations. I look forward to incorporating assistive technology into my future practice as an occupational therapist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fundamentals of Caring Review

For this assignment, I decided to watch a movie called The Fundamentals of Caring. The title of this movie had caught my eye while scrolling through  Netflix  a few times before, but I had never taken the time to watch it.  This movie is about a retired author named Ben who decides to enroll in a class and become a caregiver. He takes on a full time job caring for a boy named Trevor who has muscular dystrophy. Although Ben has no previous experience as a caregiver, it does not take long for him to gain the respect of Trevor. He decides to get Trevor out of the house and away from his dull daily routine to embark on a road trip together. Trevor saw and experienced things that he would never have had the chance to do before Ben came into his life. Ben made sure that Trevor could check things off of his bucket list without solely focusing on the worry of medicines and treatments for a week. My main takeaway from this movie was how Ben did not treat Trevor differently...

Tyler's Journey with a Spinal Cord Injury

Tyler is a 23 year old full-time student at the University of Memphis. On June 11, 2016, he was dropped out of a helicopter, resulting in 9 broken ribs, a broken sternum, a broken shoulder blade, and two broken vertebrae (T7&T8). One of the broken vertebrae cut into his spinal cord, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. Tyler spent 3 weeks at the Shepherd's Center in Atlanta, receiving PT and OT ~4 times a day. They worked with him on regaining upper body strength and adapting to life in a wheelchair. He stated that the therapists at Shepherd Center were very positive about his condition and helped him keep an open mind about what was to come. The occupational therapists were significantly helpful by teaching him new ways to dress himself and brush his teeth. Tyler remains very physically fit and goes to the gym 3x a week with no adaptive equipment. He tries his best to live a normal lifestyle that is not centered around his disability. In my opinion, Tyler is an extraordi...

Leadership Summit Reflection

I met with my fellow classmates Rachel Scarbrough, Emily White, and Caitlyn White for my leadership summit. We discussed our ideas and current plans for group facilitation, as well as the theories that we based our protocols on. Rachel is presenting on budgeting, Emily is presenting on volunteer opportunities, and Caitlyn is presenting on care of pets. I enjoyed getting to hear their ideas since we all are facilitating different group discussions. Brainstorming with my classmates really helped me come up with more ideas for my group protocol. I think it is important to collaborate with fellow colleagues in the school and professional setting in order to not only help you think your own ideas through, but also to receive feedback from others who might be able to add more creativity to your plan. I will absolutely do this when I am a practicing OT. I enjoyed this experience and found it to be very beneficial for this group assignment.