Skip to main content

12 Step Meeting Reflection

Today I attended an Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meeting with a classmate. This assignment was one I have been looking forward to because I have been very interested in seeing how group facilitation works firsthand in our Memphis community. This group meeting was very structured and followed a step by step process. The leader played the role of a directive facilitator. He would ask a group member to read the rules and today's lesson, and then asked each member to share how they were feeling and coping with their addiction. In one instance, a group member began to speak off topic. The leader redirected him a minute or so after he began his story.
I believe the environment greatly impacts these meetings. This was an open meeting, meaning anyone could walk in or out of the room at any time. While this kept the environment more casual, it also brought upon some distractions for the members. 
To me, this session was very therapeutic. Each group member was very different and had a variety of stories and advice to share. The leader was very encouraging, and I sensed a great amount of unity among the members. 
I believe this was a behavioral cognitive group because the focus of the group is to change the mindset of the members in order to overcome an alcohol addiction. The group also addressed coping skills and did not allow any judgment among the members. 
I truly enjoyed my experience and appreciate the hard work that goes into each of these meetings. 

Comments

  1. Excellent share Camille. One of my favorite lines in the whole post was the very last one, "I truly appreciate the hard work that goes into each of these meetings." I wonder if that is in some part due to having to plan and facilitate your groups during this course, or perhaps it is just the first time you feel that you have seen this in community based practice, but I could not agree with you more. Sometimes I watch the facilitators in some of these crisis related groups, and I cannot believe how skilled they are... and then I realize that the best ones are probably the best because of the truly hard work that they put into supporting, planning, and facilitating these groups. I'm really thrilled that you got to experience this, and I know that you will continue to draw from the things that you learned for a very long time.
    Prof. Sasse

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Fundamentals of Caring Review

For this assignment, I decided to watch a movie called The Fundamentals of Caring. The title of this movie had caught my eye while scrolling through  Netflix  a few times before, but I had never taken the time to watch it.  This movie is about a retired author named Ben who decides to enroll in a class and become a caregiver. He takes on a full time job caring for a boy named Trevor who has muscular dystrophy. Although Ben has no previous experience as a caregiver, it does not take long for him to gain the respect of Trevor. He decides to get Trevor out of the house and away from his dull daily routine to embark on a road trip together. Trevor saw and experienced things that he would never have had the chance to do before Ben came into his life. Ben made sure that Trevor could check things off of his bucket list without solely focusing on the worry of medicines and treatments for a week. My main takeaway from this movie was how Ben did not treat Trevor differently...

Tyler's Journey with a Spinal Cord Injury

Tyler is a 23 year old full-time student at the University of Memphis. On June 11, 2016, he was dropped out of a helicopter, resulting in 9 broken ribs, a broken sternum, a broken shoulder blade, and two broken vertebrae (T7&T8). One of the broken vertebrae cut into his spinal cord, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. Tyler spent 3 weeks at the Shepherd's Center in Atlanta, receiving PT and OT ~4 times a day. They worked with him on regaining upper body strength and adapting to life in a wheelchair. He stated that the therapists at Shepherd Center were very positive about his condition and helped him keep an open mind about what was to come. The occupational therapists were significantly helpful by teaching him new ways to dress himself and brush his teeth. Tyler remains very physically fit and goes to the gym 3x a week with no adaptive equipment. He tries his best to live a normal lifestyle that is not centered around his disability. In my opinion, Tyler is an extraordi...

Rock the Doc

In class last week, we began to learn about documentation in the world of occupational therapy. While completing my observation hours prior to applying to school, I always dreaded this part of the day. I would even sometimes struggle to keep my eyes open as I watched the therapist document her therapy sessions. As a future OT, I have developed more of an appreciation for documentation. My professor made a point in class that proper documentation can even be a way to promote the field of occupational therapy. This idea seemed questionable at first, but then I thought more about it. Some doctors still do not even have a clear understanding of what we do or why we do it. If we take the time to properly document and represent our profession, we will begin to build a greater name for occupational therapy in the medical field. Sure, paperwork isn’t the most exciting part of our day, but we owe it to our field and our clients to properly document our sessions. So go rock those docs!